Thursday, May 16, 2019

Giving no till a chance and greenhouse update

My husband is an old school farmer. He wants to till and disc up everything. I am trying to get him to try a new way (an new way for him) to not grind up the ground so much and use a bunch things we have to build UP the soil. 
I laid down card board... another recycle, reuse. 

 We have a large pile of compost... recycle, reuse.

We have a bunch of clean dirt. 


I went through some of my wool.  To dispel a myth.... our sheep are sheared not butchered for their wool.  


This summer I hope to have enough time to really get into spinning wool.


I took all the grungy bits and laid it on the cardboard.  It works as a mulch. 


Then topped that with the compost. 


The final step is the new dirt.  I had to giggle.  When I got home from work, I found Dude had made a "box" around it.   It does look nice and thank you. 

In the coming days I will put my herbs here and maybe more strawberries. I like that it is a large area.



Here's what's going on in the greenhouse. 









Meat hens are growing quickly.  This may be the last time we raise them.  We have raised them for the last 6 years.  The expense, butchering them and going more toward a veggie base life it doesn't make sense to raise so many for us.  We also no longer butcher our lambs. 



Happy Thankful Thursday. 

peace

No comments:

Post a Comment