Thursday, June 30, 2016

Making yogurt from raw goat's milk

I gave yogurt my first attempt and it turned out far better than I imagined.  It is very easy and similar to making chevre but without all the cultures and rennet. 

Here is how I made raw goat's milk yogurt. 

Ingredients
half gallon of raw goat milk
small container of plain yogurt (to use as a starter)

Heat the milk to 110*. 110* isn't very hot so keep an eye on it.


  While that is on the stove I washed out the jar and put 3 heaping tablespoons of plain yogurt in the bottom of the jar. 


Then fill the jar with the warm milk. Then stir, stir, stir!


Wrap it snug in a dish towel. This will keep it warm.



Turn on the light in the oven, just the light. Pop the jar in the oven and leave it there for 12-18 hours. 


I had  to head to work later so I put notes all over the oven. I didn't want cooked yogurt or a mess in the oven. These are the notes I use when making chevre so I just used them. When not using them I tape them to the inside of the cupboard. 



This is how it looked before refrigerating. 



I added honey from our hives and nuts to take to work. It was so good. 


I did have time on this day to meditate and play my flute outside. The great part of living in the country no one can hear how bad you sound. 


Looks like my playing startled Angelo my goat. 

Oh and I left my candle outside. Dude says I will be reading sideways for a while. 

Have a great day!
peace, health and happiness


No comments:

Post a Comment