Wednesday, October 21, 2015

The beginning

We decided to give blogging a try to share our homestead adventure. I am from the east coast, a beach girl and knew nothing about farming or raising animals. I scored when I married an ex-farmer turned carpenter. His sister is a cattle rancher and their family has celebrated over 100 years of farming in Colorado. We have about 10 acres and have been in this area, the northeastern plains, for 4 years. When we moved here we bought it for the land , the house was a HUD home and a disaster. For the first year we lived in one room of the house while remodeling. We are still remodeling.  Our journey is slow and go. Two things we have different than some homesteaders - we are older. I am in my 50's.  The other is we both work fulltime-remodeling is not cheap. I commute over 100 miles 5 days a week.  We moved here hoping to raise alpacas but fate turned all that around when someone had an orphaned 2 day old goat that needed a home.  We now raise dairy and meat goats, chickens both for laying and meat, bees, turkey and we gave ducks a try this year as well - ugh dirty birds to me. We found a greenhouse on Craigslist this year and we are giving that a go as well.  I love to learn new things and have a small but amazing group of family and friends who are teaching me to not be afraid and plug on into this adventure. I hope you enjoy what your read.

No comments:

Post a Comment