Thursday, October 29, 2015

Country living

I stayed in the city last night with family.  One of the first things you notice is how close the houses are to each other and then think, I never noticed that before.  The streets are full late at night and finding parking on the street can be a little tricky. Everyone and their friends have a car. Heading to bed after the late news  people are slamming car doors, there are street lights shining in the bedroom window, and muffled conversations can be heard across the street.
 
I remember when I first moved to the country. I didn't think I would get used to the quiet, the absolute darkness and the remoteness of the house. Our nearest neighbor is a half mile away and "town" is a mile and a half down the road. It took about three months before I got used to living out here. Right after we moved in there was a terrific snow storm and we were stuck here for three days. I now pray that I am home for a snow storm and find comfort in the silence of the snow.

Life on the prairie has a way of healing and bringing peace in a way the busy life of the city doesn't.

 

 
 



Now, as I head  the 55 miles to work each day, I dread leaving our land. I love it out here. I crave the quiet.  You begin to feel a connection to the earth and can almost hear those who have come before us.  This time of year you can hear the Canadian geese flying over during the evening feed. The goats and chickens ignore them but we know that means winter can't be far behind.  At night you can hear owls and you can see  a million stars stretch across the sky. You can't help but want to go outside even on a cold night and watch the night go by.

These are our traffic jams now and these are the neighbors we hear.



I don't know how long we live here but I intend to enjoy and live in the moment as much as I can.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing you world. It's a welcome break from business. Please keep sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I like the quiet in the country.... And out where you are, I bet the sky is amazing on a clear night.

    ReplyDelete