Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Fermenting and drying

Today I set out to make a small batch of sauerkraut .  I had two cabbages in the frig screaming, "Pick me, pick me" .  I have been ignoring them for the past week  but decide today was the day.  They were pretty excited about becoming fermenting beings. I think they squealed with delight when I pulled them out of the crisper.  I got going on chopping them up. (note to self....invest in a mandolin and save on blisters from chopping).

This is my mom's crock that she used to make sauerkraut in.  I used to sneak kraut as it was fermenting when I was a kid.  I know, it sound horrid now but then it was fantastic. Maybe it was the sneaking part more than the eating that made it so much fun? smile.


Press and salt after each layer. Press and salt, press and salt .
Place a plate on top and some kind of weight. I used a big bottle of oil.
 
There you have it, yes, so far, it is that simple. Now we wait.  I am sure, as excited as the cabbage was there will be burping and farting going on in the crock. Don't worry. It's normal for cabbage as it matures into kraut.  -wink-  Six weeks is marked on the calendar.  I will keep you updated on their progress.
 
I did pull some carrots from the garden. I was going to dry them all but when Dude saw them he got all excited, hoping they were for our lunches. So I ended up cutting most for our lunches for the week and drying the rest. Since I have limited time before heading to work, more will need to be put in the dehydrator later on in the week.



I have about 30mins before I have to get ready for work. So I  am making veggie roll ups using cream cheese, a bit of sour cream, chopped yellow peppers, a little bit of chopped fine carrot (had to, they were out), spinach, chopped dried tomato, garlic powder, and onion powder. Spread on a tortilla and roll.   You can slice them after refrigerating or leave them whole.  ...or...... make a grilled cheese sandwich out of them. Now that would be something.

Have a great day.
~Peace~
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment