Sunday, October 21, 2018

A beautiful day to work in the garden and get outside.

It  was a gorgeous and wonderfully warm day.  It got up into the 70's.  After we ran to the grocery store we were able to go for a walk and along the way grab some leftover corn in the field next to us to save for the chickens.



Now that Dude is back to driving I was in the passenger seat trying to finish my fall shawl.  I love the way the sun casted shadows and made the yarn look variegated. 


Dude cut the pampas grass.  We will bring it in the house later for decoration. 



Later I planted a few more plants I had as clippings from here and there.  All were now rooting .



I even planted a few willows. (the ones that look like sticks ) They have rooted and begun to have small leaves at the base.


Dude is learning not to rototill as much. We are using the back yard for an experiment of no-till gardening.  We are dropping cutting and corn stock all over , then mulch , and straw.  We will then plant along the way. This is so hard of Dude who grew up farming the old way. We live on the dry prairie of Colorado.  Besides not getting much rain here, the winds blow across the land causing it to erode.  Our land is also damaged this year from hail storm after hail storm... starting over. 


Next, I went and trimmed the willow with a "chop and drop" method.   I decide to take a few with me to make a couple wreaths.  Norman, the dog, helped by bringing in a few sticks himself... such a helper.

 
I use an old wire hanger to start the base.

  
Tomorrow I will decorate it. 


Dude picked the last of the peppers from the garden.  I saved two of them for this week's dinners. 

 The rest of them I stuffed for tonight. 




The timer is about to go off so I need to log off for the night. Time for dinner. 

peace


No comments:

Post a Comment